Sunday, May 22, 2011

What a Weekend!

Oh my Gosh!! It was a total disaster of a weekend!! My first outdoor event of the year in Stillwater turned into the storm of the century! It rained almost all day on Saturday except for the last 3 or so hours of the market. I was able to sell enough pieces to cover about half of my expenses! We left having higher hopes for Sunday. There was a terrible thunder storm that passed through that evening but everything held tight for me. Sad to say a few vendors didn't fair so well. Rick and I debated whether to set up again knowing that we would get  more rain throughout the day. I decided we should stay for a bit since the weather was somewhat cooperating (it was 8am and the market would open at 11am). We started setting up and then Rick checked the radar weather forecast and we saw that there was some serious storms coming up on the west side of the cities. We made the right decision to close up shop and get the heck outta Stillwater. On our way home we watched the radar as the storms got closer and closer to the cities and Stillwater. By the sounds of it there were tornadoes that damaged homes, hail, high winds and everything else that goes with a major thunderstorm. I'm so glad we made the decision to pack up. Rick woulda killed me if we had to pack in the storm or try and ride it out. My crystal wasn't going to sell with all the clouds and I certainly didn't want to risk losing all my inventory, display set up, & canopy. All tucked in and cozy at home we watched as the storms rumbled through wreaking havoc and taking homes and lives. In the end...I gotta say a huge thank you to modern technology. If we hadn't had our phones with internet access to evaluate the weather we never would have known to get out of there. We warned a few other curious people about the incoming storms and let them make up their own minds. I hope everyone was ok. There was literally well over a hundred vendors!! In the end...it's just not worth the risk. Thank you technology! I lost money on this deal but not as much as I would have if I'd stayed in Stillwater! Let's just hope this isn't an omen to the upcoming summer events. God have mercy on me!

3 comments:

granny said...

We spent a lot of time in Jodi & Darins basement. We were up there for the kids panio and gymnastic's shows. Both was great. They did a great job.

Jackie said...

Glad you, Rick and all your inventory are all safe, yesterday was some pretty crazy weather.

Cindy's Closet said...

I was horrified watching the storms roll through the cities on radar as we were coming home. Saying prayers the whole time! I'm glad our kids were ok...what is up with this weather?!